For all those in Phoenix AZ, my hometown
If you live in Phoenix Arizona, you may have noticed something interesting starting October 3rd. On TV, billboards, and generally everywhere you look, ads about Mormonism are taking over. Don’t adjust your dial, it’s just our church’s way of getting the message out and letting people know who we are.
So, what is this ad campaign all about?
If you’ve seen any of the ads, it is immediately evident that the Mormon Ads are about showing people that Mormon people are just like everyone else. We do a variety of things, and live a variety of lives. In essence, we’re just like you. Fair enough, many people don’t know what Mormon’s are all about – this gives us a chance to set the record straight. In case you’re curious, I myself have a profile on the church website that is being advertised (all members of our church are encouraged to make a profile). You can view my profile here:
Ok, Mormon’s are normal people. But what do you believe?
So, with this ad campaign to show you just how normal a Mormon really is, the question remains: what makes Mormon’s different? What do you believe that makes you Mormon vs. some other religion? Let me present my own version of Mormonism 101:
- We believe in God, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. We believe they are three separate and distinct individual beings, that they are perfect, and that they love us.
- We believe that we lived with God, our spirit Father, before this life. We believe that we have come here to be tested, to see if we will be faithful, and that after this life we will return to Him.
- We believe that everyone will be judged for their own lives, and that we will be judged based on our own personal knowledge and opportunities. Everyone will have an opportunity, in this life or the next, to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ and accept it if they choose to.
- We believe that the power and authority that existed in the Bible, namely the Priesthood, was restored to the earth in our time. We believe that through this authority, the power of God is manifest on the earth.
- We believe that through the authority of the Priesthood, we can be baptized just as Christ was (he also went to one with the proper authority, John) and be cleansed of our sins.
- We believe that through the authority of the Priesthood, Christ leads His church today through revelation, just as He did in biblical times.
- We believe the Bible to be the word of God; we also believe the Book of Mormon (a translated ancient text covering about 1000 years of religious history, starting in 600BC) to be the word of God.
- We believe that all people can know the truth of all things, through the Spirit of God. We won’t ever ask you to take our word for anything; we’ll only ask you to ask God in prayer.